Danesfort GAA Club was founded in 1922. It incorporates a broad area south of Kilkenny City, encompassing Danesfort itself, as well as Burnchurch, Cuffesgrange and part of Kells. The Club borders rival clubs Bennettsbridge to the east, Graigue-Ballycallan to the west, Carrickshock and Dunnamaggin to the south and city club James Stephen to the north.
History of Danesfort Club Crest
The Danesfort Crest is a beautiful reflection of our consideration of distinctive elements within our community.
Top left corner : The Black & Amber stripes represents our club colours, distinctive, honorable and aptly simulating the Kilkenny County colours.
Top centre : The Turret is the landmark building which sits atop of a ring fort, easily seen at the motorway interchange. The ring fort dating back thousands of years before the coming of Christianity was used as a vantage point on which the Turret was built. As part of the Wemyss Estate, the Turret was initially used for shooting deer and later as a more civilized tea house for the Gentry.
Centre of crest : Burnchurch Towerhouse on the right and Burnchurch Gatehouse to the left, built in circa 1200 AD.
Lower right : is the Schoolhouse in Cuffesgrange. Built in 1813, it is the oldest functioning schoolhouse in the country.
Bottom left of crest : The River Nore ebbs through the townland.
Finally, the year 1922 shows the year our club, Dún Fearta was established.